Thursday, February 11, 2010

When were you an advocate for yourself or someone else?

Almost everybody has been an advocate sometime in their life. I have been an advocate for myself, recently, when I stopped smoking. However, it wasn't that easy, but somehow I managed to do it. I strongly made up my mind, gathered some helpful information, and tried my best to be patient.

It is very important to make sure that you really want to quit smoking, otherwise it is not going to happen. For instance, I quit two times before, but, I wasn't successful because I really didn't know exactly why I was doing it and I couldn't make up my mind until recently.

Secondly, it would be really helpful to gather information that explains about the difficulty that your body might experience and this data will make it easier to go through quitting. For example, I found the website that is called "easyquit.com," and I found out that having a lot of snacks around me helps me to keep my mind occupied and not to think about smoking.

Thirdly, stopping smoking is not something that just happens overnight. It takes time, and somehow we have to create this ability to be patient. For instance, for me the hard part was the first two months, but I knew this would come to the end finally.

All these steps helped me to overpower that habit. Making a strong decision, having knowledge about what we are doing, and having patience for the result led me to quit smoking successfully.

-- by a GED student

No comments:

Post a Comment